No is the most overused word in the English language, and yet we tend to use it at all the wrong times. When we should be using the word ‘no’ we often apply the word ‘yes’ because we are afraid, insecure, or feel bad; and yet those things that we should be saying ‘yes’ to are often met with a quick ‘no’… Why must it be so confusing?
In our fast-paced modern society we are often quick to decline things that may actually be beneficial for various reasons… Now, how often we say ‘yes’ when we should be saying ‘no’ is another post for another time, but for this moment I would like to share a short list of 10 Things You Should Be Saying Yes To…
*The list below is intended to be a starting point, a reminder that it is okay to steer away from your go-to response to so many pleasant things in life. Use it as a guide and try changing your response when offered the opportunity to do these things (or anything that appeals to you) in the future.
10 Things You Should Be Saying YES To:
- Help: We all want to
pretend, convince ourselvesbelieve that we can handle everything on our own, but it is not always possible. One of the most difficult things to say yes to is an offering of help, especially if it comes from someone you feel you need to prove yourself to… But swallow your pride (or get off your high-horse) and say yes to the help when you need it. It will help you combat stress, and may open doors to more possibilities (like perhaps a friendship?).
- Time with an old friend: Whether it is on the phone, having a long (much-needed) chat or time spent in-person, be sure that you say yes to those good old friends that you have not seen in a while, or spent nearly enough time with. Sure, life is busy, but it should never be too busy for those that have been with you along this crazy journey called life.
- That one item you have
no use foralways wanted: Stop humming and hawing over those completely impractical shoes that you love, or that outfit you have no need for but absolutely adore and just buy it already. Life is too short, if you truly want it, get it and wear it… Even if it is just around the house!
- New experiences: If your friend asks you to go to dance lessons with her (and secretly you have always wanted to learn to salsa) do it. Join in the fun and learn new things, don’t let ‘time’ stand in your way.. If you truly want to do something you will find the time to do it. Period. New experiences open new doors and new opportunities.
- A vacation: Everyone needs ‘me’ time… Even if is not the tropical island of your dreams be sure to say yes to some away time. Take a small trip with friends or on your own and enjoy just being away from the stress of everyday life. Even if your vacation is nothing more than a sick day, or a dinner out, accept it and enjoy every moment with all your heart and soul. Use it as an escape.
- A lazy, lay-around doing nothing at all kinda day: Every once in a while it is important to shut yourself down and do nothing at all for an entire day. Lay around in your pajamas and watch a marathon of your favorite t.v. show, order take out, and be completely and utterly lazy. You will feel refreshed afterwards, trust me.
- New Friends: The opportunity to make new friends, or meet new people is passed up far too often and yet it can open doors faster than any other means. Next time you are invited to an event and you are worried that you won’t know anyone there accept the invitation and attend. Mingle, meet new people, network and make friends… Some of the most successful connections are made between complete strangers and unexpected times.
- Girls Night: Never turn down the opportunity to get together with your girlfriends for a fun-filled girls night (out or in). The power of the ‘girls night’ is like no other in the world. Chat, gossip, share secrets and have a good laugh. Time with your closest girl friends has the ability to cleanse your soul.
- Opportunity to do what you enjoy: Accept every single opportunity to do what you enjoy doing, many people are not fortunate enough to have the option. If you love art, accept those invitations to share your work or attend the gallery. If it’s dancing, dance.. Singing.. sing… Whatever your passion, never turn down the chance to incorporate it into your everyday life.
- Treating yourself: Eat that double fudge sundae, enjoy that slice of cake, or bake those too sweet sugar cookies you love more than all your favorite shoes… just don’t eat them all in one sitting. If you deprive ourselves of these simple pleasures we deprive ourselves of happiness… Yes, sometimes happiness can be found at the bottom of a bowl of ice cream… Remember it is the simplest things in life!
Until Next Time…
Y-E-S Spells Yes!